Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekly Genealogy Blogger Prompt #1

The Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #1 at Facebook is:

1. Upload your favorite picture and talk about it on your blog. Answer the who/what/when/where/why of the subject matter and explain why it is your favorite.

I don't know if this is my all-time favorite photograph, but it is my "latest" favorite!

Who: My maternal grandmother, Eva Albina Tschirhart Keller. All of her grandchildren called her "Mother" and it must be because her youngest child, my Uncle Burnell, was born later in her life and he was only 7 years older than me! I guess he called her "Mother" and the name stuck with the grandchildren. My own mother was called "Mom" and that is how we told the difference between the two women!

What: Childhood portrait

When: Eva was born Dec. 1913 near San Antonio in a small town named LaCoste, Medina County, Texas. She was one of three children born to Idella Rose Haegelin and Edward William Tschirhart. I would assume she is between 2-3 in this photo which would date the photograph around 1915-16.

Where: The photo is imprinted with the photography studio "Stein" and location "San Antonio". This makes sense as my grandmother lived her entire life in a small town 30 miles west of San Antonio. Most of the old photographs in my possession are taken in studios located in San Antonio.

Why: I don't know exactly why this photo has captivated me, but it could be because of the wonderful, warm and nurturing memories I have of spending time with my grandmother. She was a "quiet" giant! She ruled the roost without letting my grandfather realize it. I love the look on her face in this photograph; sort of a look of anticipation. Her hands are clapsed as if to say, "is this right?" I totally love the little crochetted dress, black, patent-leather, buckle shoes and adorable plaid leggings! My grandmother always had a flair for fashion and we always wondered how a simple, small town girl who grew up to be a farmer's wife learned this flair, but obviously, she learned it early! My most cherished memories are of her taking me shopping in San Antonio and stopping for lunch in the tearooms of the department stores (Joske's and Frost's in particular!). Boy did she love to shop!

4 comments:

  1. She looks sweet in that photo :) Thanks for sharing her picture and story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clothing! I've never seen such cute little leggings before. And you're right...the way she is posing is adorable! No wonder this is one of your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this picture of your grandmother! She shows signs of that determination to "rule the roost" already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! Too bad I didn't ask my grandmother more about her childhood when she was alive...now that she is gone I am very interested! Is that the Murphey's Law of Genealogy?

    ReplyDelete